High-riding Molynes United ‘A’, UWI Pelicans in JN Open League title showdown

first_imgThe dream run of Molynes United ‘A’ in the JN Open League Sunshine netball competition continued on Thursday inside the National Indoor Sports Centre, as for the second time in two days they got the better of a Mico team.After eliminating defending champions Mico ‘B’ in the quarter-finals on Tuesday, Molynes United upstaged Mico ‘A’ 20-18 on Thursday to advance to today’s final, which will be played at 6 p.m.Their opponents will be UWI Pelicans, who had an impressive 36-25 win over Waulgrovians ‘A’ in their semi-final.Mico ‘A’, the best attacking and defensive team in the competition, were without the services of ace goal shooter, Jhaniele Fowler-Reid. Even then, they were expected to win.However, Molynes jumped into a quick 3-0 lead and led 5-4 at the break. Both teams had a battle royal up to the half-time as they went into the break even at 9-9.For the next two quarters it was anybody’s game. Mico shooters, led by goal shooter Tanielle Roberts and goal attack Stephanie Anderson, found it very difficult to score, while Molynes shooters Shantal Slater and Kara Christie were finding it easier to make their shots.”We are very elated; we worked hard, we trained hard and we executed well,” said Molynes captain Stacy Mullings.”We stuck to our game plan and it worked. After beating Mico ‘B’ we knew it was going to be a tough challenge as Mico ‘A’ is a good team, but we just remained disciplined and listened to our coach,” added Mullings.Slater scored 11 from 12 attempts, while Christie had nine from 10. For Mico ‘A’, Roberts had 16 from 24 tries.In the earlier game, it was smooth sailing for the Conrad Parkes-coached UWI Pelicans after a competitive first quarter, where UWI led 9-8.However, it was all UWI Pelicans from there as they led 20 -14 and 27-20 at the end of the second and third quarters.Goal shooter Thristina Harwood top scored for the winners with 29 goals from 33 tries, while goal attack Rebecca Robinson scored eight from 10. For Wualgrovians ‘A’, former UWI player, Ladonna Lamonth, had 20 goals from 25 attempts.Meanwhile, Speg ‘A’ and UTech Knights will meet in the Open B League final at 5 p.m., after both teams won their semi-finals on Thursday. Speg ‘A’ defeated Molynes United ‘B’ 37-26, while UTech Knights stopped Tivoli Gardens 37-22.last_img read more

Admiral keen to deal with criminal charge get back to serving the

first_imgOTTAWA – Vice-Admiral Mark Norman says he’s eager to deal with the criminal charge he faces and return to serving Canadians.Wearing his full navy uniform, Norman made a brief court appearance Tuesday concerning an accusation he leaked sensitive information about a shipbuilding project.Norman was charged last month with breach of trust and denies any wrongdoing. He is slated to return to Ontario court May 15 to begin setting a timetable for proceedings.“I’m anxious to get to court, get this dealt with as quickly as possible and get back to serving the people of Canada,” he said following the appearance.Norman, who was the military’s second-in-command until suspended from duty early last year, faces up to five years in prison.The case revolves around a November 2015 decision by the newly elected Liberal government to reconsider a $700-million contract the Harper Conservatives had awarded to Quebec-based Davie Shipbuilding.Davie was hired to convert a civilian vessel, the MV Asterix, into a temporary resupply ship that would be leased until a permanent replacement was ready.While the plan to revisit the contract was supposed to remain secret, court documents show the RCMP suspected Norman of being upset with the decision out of concern the government would cancel the project.Norman was commander of the navy at the time and, according to the documents, allegedly worked with Davie to pressure the government to keep the project afloat.None of the accusations has been tested in court.Norman’s lawyer, Marie Henein, told the court Tuesday that disclosure of materials from the Crown to the defence is “substantially complete.”The criminal investigation began in December 2015 when the RCMP received a complaint alleging that cabinet secrets had been disclosed.The Mounties gathered evidence through court-approved warrants and a legal assistance treaty request involving U.S. authorities. The investigation also included interviews and the forensic analysis of “a significant number” of documents, the RCMP says.Henein expressed impatience Tuesday with the length of the process.“I’m tired of shadow-boxing. It’s time to step in the courtroom and deal with the evidence,” she told reporters after the hearing.“I don’t try my cases on the courthouse steps. I try them in a courtroom. And that is what we are ready to do. So we want to get this going, get this dealt with and let the public know exactly what this case is about.”Asked if her client was being treated as a scapegoat, Henein said: “I think that’s self-evident, isn’t it?”— Follow @JimBronskill on Twitterlast_img read more

Its Just No Place for That Raptors Guard Speaks

Speaking on the Game 3 incident Thursday, Lowry said the investor had cursed at him “multiple times” as he shoved the guard. They added that Stevens would not attend any more finals games. A Golden State Warriors investor has been banned immediately after shoving and cursing at Toronto Raptors player Kyle Lowry during Game 3 of the NBA Finals Wednesday night. Later, Lowry added of his feelings during the incident, “I was furious, I’m not going to lie.” During the fourth quarter of the game, Lowry dove into the courtside seats as he tried to save a ball as it bounced out of bounds. Stevens shoved the star and was removed from the game thereafter. While he thanked the Warriors and the league for their statements, Lowry believes more should be done. “A team representative must be held to the highest possible standard, and the conduct of Golden State Warriors investor Mark Stevens last night was beyond unacceptable and has no place in our league,” the league said in a statement. “As the review of this matter continues, Mr. Stevens will not be permitted to attend NBA games.” The Warriors issued a statement that night. It said in part that the team is “extremely disappointed in his actions and, along with Mr. Stevens, offer our sincere apology to Kyle Lowry and the Toronto Raptors organization for this unfortunate misconduct.” He also confirmed Stevens told him to “go f— yourself” The NBA announced the news Thursday, June 6 that GSW executive Mark Stevens is barred for one season and has been fined $500,000 for the caught-on-camera incident. After his banning, Stevens issued a statement apologizing for his actions, noting he takes “full responsibility.” “There’s no room in our game for that,” Lowry told reporters. “I don’t think I could have handled it any better. … Things could have been a lot different if I reacted a different way … or put my hands on him … but the support I’ve gotten from fellow players, the league, is unbelievable.” Stevens’ ban carries through the 2019-2020 NBA season, including the postseason. “This is what happens when you’re sitting courtside,” he explained. “It’s a possibility a guy is trying to make a hustle play.” “He’s not a good look for the ownership group that they have,” he said. “A guy like that showing his true class … he shouldn’t be a part of our league. It’s just no place for that.” “[I] am embarrassed by what transpired,” he said. “What I did was wrong and there is no excuse for it. Mr. Lowry deserves better, and I have reached out today in an attempt to directly apologize to him and other members of the Raptors and Warriors organizations. I’m grateful to those who accepted my calls. “I hope that Mr. Lowry and others impacted by this lapse in judgement understand that the behavior I demonstrated last night does not reflect the person I am or have been throughout my life. I made a mistake and I’m truly sorry,” he added. read more

Ritchie believes Newcastle can survive

first_imgThe English Premier League is currently in the edge of the relegation zone, but this week they play against two teams at the bottom of the table.With 25 points in 26 matches, Newcastle United is currently in the 16th position of the English Premier League table.The Magpies is dangerously close to the relegation zone, as they are just one point ahead of 18th-place Southampton.But this week is very important for them, as they will play against lower-table teams Huddersfield Town and Burnley.“It would be silly to think that we don’t care,” winger Matt Ritchie told The Chronicle.“Every player is playing for themselves, their futures, or whatever they have for themselves – but we also understand we are at a big football club in Newcastle United.”“We want success and success in different places is different. For us, to stay in the Premier League is a success,” he continued.“We need to keep working the way we have done. I said in an interview the other day that our performances levels have been high.”“We have managed to pick up some points but we need to continue that.”“We need more good performance levels. I am sure with that will come the points we required,” the midfielder continued.Harry Maguire, Manchester UnitedLiverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.Newcastle’s next rivals Huddersfield are at the bottom of the relegation zone with 11 points.And Burnley is just two points ahead of the Magpies in the 15th position.“Every game is huge now, every week,” he said.“Where would we be without the win over Man City? The bottom three.”“That shows how tight it is and that every game is huge, whether they’re in the top two, top six or the bottom three – every game is huge,” he added.“We approach every game with the mentality we can get three points. If we don’t get three we want one.”🎥 Rafa Benítez spoke to NUFC TV after today’s 1-1 friendly draw against CSKA Moscow in Spain.Watch the full interview for free: https://t.co/yPEpAuCEXO #NUFC pic.twitter.com/UkpNceB32S— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) February 16, 2019last_img read more

In Our Communities

first_imgNew Mexico is suing the Air Force over contaminated water on and near Cannon and Holloman Air Force bases, the Air Force Times reported. “Today we begin holding them accountable,” New Mexico Environment Secretary James Kenney said when he announced the suit last week….Texas is making a play to get the Space Force headquarters in Houston, according to KTRK-TV. “I hope you will agree with me that the Space Command belongs in Space City,” Gov. Greg Abbott (R) wrote in a letter to President Trump….Port San Antonio is planning a public-private partnership to build a new innovation center and cybersecurity complex, Route Fifty reported. “The future belongs to innovators, and in an increasingly connected world, innovations are grounded in making essential physical and virtual connections,” Port President and CEO Jim Perschbach said in a press release.Texas Gov. Greg Abbott at Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base, Texas, in 2017. Texas Air National Guard photo by Photo by Master Sgt. Sean Cowher ADC AUTHORlast_img read more

One for the earth

first_img5 June is celebrated as World Environment Day. The date marks the day on which the United Nations Conference on Human Environment (the Stockholm Conference) began in 1972 when countries of the world came together to discuss global environmental issues for the first time.Respect for the environment has been an integral part of India’s glorious culture. The relationship between the earth and human beings has been likened to that between a mother and her child. From the Rig Veda to the Yagyavalkya Smriti, the ‘Panch Tatvas’ or the five elements are mentioned.  These are prithvi (earth), pavan (wind), jal (water), tej (solar energy) and nabh (sky). We are taught to live in harmony with the environment. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Environmental sustainability is also a moral issue. In this context, ‘I have been deeply influenced by Mahatma Gandhi and his concept of ‘trusteeship’. This may be interpreted as the present generation acting as trustee for the future by enjoying the wealth of nature in a way that it benefits the next generation,’ says Jitendra Padam Jain- Curator of the show.  The choice in front of us is clear. Either we allow environmental degradation to continue unchecked or we take remedial steps to ensure happiness of the future generations. Government action alone is not the key to the environment changes that are required. No strength is mightier than people’s participation. It is the small steps we take in our daily lives that will make a big difference in the quest for an environment friendly planet. Through art, our show would highlight environmental awareness, and bring together all fraternities in working towards this cause. We should adopt a plant and nurture it to become a tree, as we do with our children.last_img read more

Care for your hair dear brides

first_imgFor women, the preparations towards perfecting the bridal look starts way in advance. Give your hair the care it deserves before your D-day and afterwards too, say experts. Pre-wedding hair care routine:-Best is to start a regime at the onset itself from the very day you say “yes”.-A deep conditioning treatment, recommended by your hair expert, should be an obligatory pre-wedding must-do to prep your hair. Also remember to stay hydrated and drink lots and lots of water. Also Read – Add new books to your shelf-Most importantly, make sure you arm yourself with the right products to protect and prep your hair for your big day. The right product regime – a shampoo and conditioner combination with repairing properties will work to improve the texture and condition of your hair over time. Post-wedding hair care routine:-Regular moisture-infusing conditioning treatments and anti-breakage treatments are a must follow-up after all the wedding day shenanigans. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsive Here are few more tips:-The foundation of haircare for a bride-to-be is to shampoo, conditioner and apply hair serum or hair potion on her hair, way in advance. This three-step approach is the most important and goes a long way in ensuring healthy, frizz-free and lustrous hair on the D-Day.-Another very important haircare hack is regular deep conditioning treatments and hair spas at your nearest salon. This is not only a luxury, but a necessity designed to strengthen hair follicles, stimulate blood circulation, nourish the roots and revitalise the scalp.-The third most important step is to avoid harsh chemicals and products that can damage your hair before your wedding. Read the label on haircare products before you buy them. Couple these tips with healthy sleeping habits, a fitness regime and nutritious eating.-The morning-after-hair tends to feel frizzy, dull and dry due to the exposure to hairstyling products and the flashlights. Make sure you wash your hair properly with a mild cleansing agent to remove all the hair product and styling mousse that was used the previous evening.-Once you complete the routine hair care and conditioning, detangle by combing your hair carefully to remove all knots. Divide your hair into sections and use a wide-toothed comb to avoid breakage.-Use products that contain argan oil, and moisturising agents that can bring back lost luster. Hair potions come in handy for a quick fix when you step out for the post-wedding functions.last_img read more