RSF_en Noting that Iranian journalist Akbar Ganji has not been allowed any visits since his return to Evin prison from hospital on 3 September, Reporters Without Borders today voiced concern and outrage about the behaviour of the Iranian authorities towards him and their failure to keep their promises.“Ganji seems to have been placed in total solitary confinement in a special section of Evin to which only the Revolutionary Guards have access,” the press freedom organisation said. “Shutting him away like this is a flagrant violation of Iranian law, which explicitly says detainees may receive visits from their relatives and lawyers. The sole aim of the prison authorities seems to be to break Ganji completely.”Reporters Without Borders added: “ We once again condemn of the failure of senior Iranian officials to respect their undertakings towards Ganji and his family. We have always supported negotiations with the precise objective of obtaining his release. Now, faced by the silence coming from the judicial authorities, we are resolved to press on with our campaign. The lack of any news is particularly worrying.”Reached by telephone, Ganji’s wife, Massoumeh Shafii, said she was also very worried by the lack of news and the fact that she has not been able to visit him since 26 August.Ganji lost at least 25 kilos in the course of a hunger which he continued for more than two months. After ending the hunger strike on 22 August, he was allowed only two weeks to recover in hospital before being sent back to prison on 3 September.Over 15 years ago, Reporters without Borders created its “Sponsorship Programme” and called upon the international media to select and support an imprisoned journalist. More than two hundreds news staffs around the globe are thus sponsoring colleagues by regularly petitioning authorities for their release and by publicising their situations sothat their cases will not be forgotten.Currently, Akbar Ganji is sponsored by Le Devoir, Nice-Matin, La Montagne June 11, 2021 Find out more September 20, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 No news of Akbar Ganji for the past 25 days Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 Receive email alerts News IranMiddle East – North Africa Help by sharing this information Iran is stepping up pressure on journalists, including foreign journalists, in run-up to election News Follow the news on Iran News Organisation IranMiddle East – North Africa June 9, 2021 Find out more Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists to go further March 18, 2021 Find out more Noting that Iranian journalist Akbar Ganji has not been allowed any visits since his return to Evin prison from hospital on 3 September, Reporters Without Borders today voiced concern and outrage about the behaviour of the Iranian authorities towards him and their failure to keep their promises. News
Nick Chubb’s CousinNick Chubb is a freak of a football player. The 5-foot-10, 220-pound running back rushed for 1,547 yards and 14 touchdowns as a freshman for Georgia in 2014. He should be one of the country’s top players this fall. The Cedartown, Ga., native certainly has some good genes. So it would make sense that he’s not the only member of his bloodline to be great on the gridiron. Meet Harlem Diamond, a 9-year-old cousin of Chubb who is already showing out on the football field. Georgia already seems to be recruiting him (to an extent). The Bulldogs’ Twitter account sent out the following tweet this afternoon.#homeGrown #ChubbStrong #CommitToTheG https://t.co/Pcw1dR9Kr9— Georgia Football (@FootballUGA) May 15, 2015Bulldogs’ fans would certainly be happy if he eventually decides to #CommitToTheG.
A pop concert for Armed Forces families kicked off The Royal British Legion’s Poppy Appeal 2013 last week, launching one of the UK’s largest and best loved fundraising campaigns in support of Armed Forces families.Video: Union J and The Saturdays launch the 2013 Poppy AppealThousands of Service personnel and their families wore their poppies with pride during the concert, which included performances by superstar girl group The Saturdays, X Factor boy band Union J, pop singer Tich, Britain’s Got Talent finalists Luminites, and The Poppy Girls, who sang the official Poppy Appeal 2013 single, ‘The Call (No Need to Say Goodbye)’.TV personality Gethin Jones hosted the concert at RAF Northolt in north London and the audiencel included Armed Forces families from across the three Services.Before the concert, Union J band member George Shelley said: “”It will be amazing to launch the Poppy Appeal this year. Personally, the poppy means a lot to us, it’s a symbol of pride. I have a brother serving in the Royal Marines, Josh’s dad was in the Navy for ten years, and Jaymi’s uncle was in the RAF and fought in the Falklands war. We think of them, and all the others who have bravely served, every time we put a poppy on.“We spent some time at the Legion’s Adventure Breaks centre for Service kids this summer. There were loads of outdoor activities to help the kids connect with one another, and take time out from everything.”Also attending was 32 year-old Lance Corporal Cassidy Little, 42 Commando Royal Marine, who was seriously injured in an IED explosion in Afghanistan in May 2011 – losing his lower right limb in the incident.Cassidy participated in a theatre project run jointly by the Legion and The Theatre Royal Haymarket Masterclass Trust to aid the recovery of wounded, injured and sick Service personnel, playing the lead role in the ‘Two Worlds of Charlie F’, an original play created through the project and based on the real experiences of the personnel.Cassidy said: “The theatre project funded by The Royal British Legion was a turning point in my recovery. While the medical teams put my body back together, taking part in the play ‘Two Worlds of Charlie F’ gave me back my self-esteem and confidence when it was at its lowest ebb.“I’ve now started an acting career and I know the Legion will support me and my family, as it does with hundreds of Service personnel every year in the transition from military to civilian life.”The Legion’s national fundraising target for 2013 is £37 million, which will allow the charity to continue its vital work delivering direct, practical care and support to members of the Armed Forces community in need.The Royal British Legion Director of Fundraising Charles Byrne said: “We support the entire Armed Forces community past and present, but families are at the heart of the Poppy Appeal in 2013.“We recognise the strength of mothers, fathers, partners and kids in Armed Forces families, who serve alongside their loved ones every single day, and often need practical care and advice too.“We’re encouraging people to dig deep for the Poppy Appeal, so we can continue providing this vital support to individuals whether they’re still serving, transitioning back to civilian life or have left the Services, but importantly to their dependents too.”The Legion provides wide ranging, and practical support to Armed Forces families in need, including crisis grants, family breaks, benefits and money advice and at times sadly, inquest advice.Every poppy helps raise the £1.6 million needed by the Legion each week to deliver practical help and advice to Armed Forces community.Click here for more about the 2013 Poppy Appeal.Source:Royal British Legion
Advertisement Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook Login/Register With: We work with visionary storytellers to produce bold, original films.Our open-door policy means everyone from aspiring writers to WGA members can submit ideas online, no strings attached.If your movie could become somebody’s favorite film, we’re looking for you.Amazon Studios is producing Emmy Award-winning television series. We’re looking for smart, cinematic drama series; bold, original comedy series; and innovative, educational series for kids.Now, anyone (including WGA members) is welcome to submit their work with no strings attached.Learn more about our Submission policy here.Submit a drama scriptSubmit a comedy scriptSubmit a children’s script Twitter
APTN National NewsA convicted chief and council member have won their bids to remain in office on a central Saskatchewan First Nation.APTN National News reporter Larissa Burnouf has an update on this story.
LOS ANGELES — The U.S. is on track to finish the year with an annual decline in home sales for the first time since 2014.Home sales have plunged over the past 12 months and many economists forecast sales will weaken further in 2019.The housing market is slowing as would-be buyers struggle with rising borrowing costs and a persistently low number of properties on the market.Glenn Kelman, CEO of Seattle-based real estate brokerage Redfin, recently spoke to The Associated Press about the state of the housing market and why he expects first-time buyers will continue to struggle next year. The interview has been edited for length and clarity.Q: How do you see the housing market’s trajectory next year?A: The housing market is probably the weakest sector of the U.S. economy and the $64,000 question is just whether housing is going to bring down the U.S. economy or the U.S. economy is going to bring housing back up. People have good jobs and corporations are making money. If the stock market rebounds, you’re going to see a reasonable housing market next year. It will still be soft, but it won’t be catastrophic. If, on the other hand, housing undermines consumer confidence generally; people start feeling poor because their home has declined in value; and a huge sector of the economy for building and selling housing enters a recession, then you can see the start of a much larger cycle.Q: Do you see first-time buyers having an easier time?A: They’re going to have a harder time. There’s so much inventory that’s rate-locked. The spread between 3.5 per cent and the current mortgage rate, as that widens, it will just be a stronger and stronger incentive for people to hold on to their homes forever. When they want to move, they’re going to rent them out, rather than sell them.Q: What’s it going to take to fix this shortage in affordable housing?A: I view much of our economic policy as a way to defend the wealth of baby boomers. People get up in arms about protecting the value of their home and making sure that it increases. When the city wants to increase density, everybody living in a single-family home, who is usually between the ages of 40 and 65, absolutely freaks out and prevents that construction. And in some ways that’s just acting as a cartel where the people who hold the good prevent more supply of that good from reaching the market and maintain artificially high prices. What I’m hopeful about is just this idea that Americans aren’t trapped in a single city. If you go to almost any city hall, the only pocketbook issue that the middle class is up in arms about is the cost of housing. And every mayor is trying to solve that problem. And the cities that are solving it best are in the middle of the country, so that’s why you’re seeing this migration from coastal cities into the centre of the country. I think it’s going to depolarize us politically.Q: Any major trends that you see accelerating next year?A: Tech companies are going to increasingly be called to account for how we deal with the prosperity created by technology. We should want high-paying jobs, but when housing prices blow up in Boise or Salt Lake or Denver, a mob forms and they want answers and the people they ask the answers from are Twitter and Amazon and Redfin. The idea that we can say that’s not our problem isn’t working very well right now. There just has to be a better alliance between tech and government on this. It boils down to higher taxes for tech.Alex Veiga, The Associated Press
TSA officials say the rate of airport screeners missing work during the partial government shutdown has stabilized just days before a three-day holiday weekend.The Transportation Security Administration said Wednesday that 6.1 per cent of its airport screeners missed work Tuesday.That’s nearly double the absentee rate on the same day last year but the second-straight decline after the sick-out rate surged to 7.7 per cent Sunday.A TSA spokesman says screeners this week should have received $500 bonuses and, for some, an extra day’s pay, for working over the Christmas and New Year’s holidays.Meanwhile, air traffic controllers who are also working without pay lost an effort to force the government to pay them. A federal judge Tuesday rejected their union’s request for a temporary restraining order.The Associated Press
Raipur: A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawan was killed and another injured in an encounter with Naxals in Chhattisgarh Friday, police said.The skirmish took place in the forest near Chameda village in Dhamtari district when a joint team of CRPF’s 211 battalion and District Force (DF) was out on an anti-naxal operation, a police official told PTI. He said the patrolling team, comprising around 50 personnel of the CRPF and 10 of the DF, had launched the operation on April 3 in the interiors of Khallari and Borai police station areas. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’On Friday morning, when security forces were advancing through Chameda, around 150 km from Raipur, a group of Naxals opened fire on them, leading to a gunfight, the official said. He said Naxals fled when security forces retaliated. “Head Constable Harish Chand was killed in the incident while Sudhir Kumar got injured,” the official said. Reinforcement has been rushed to the spot and efforts are on to evacuate the body and the injured personnel, he added. The incident occurred a day after Naxals ambushed a team of security forces, killing four BSF personnel and injuring two others in Kanker district of the state.
Raichur (Karna): Attacking the Prime Minister, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi Friday alleged people of the country “have decided” to remove Narendra Modi and asserted his party would form the government after the Lok Sabha polls. Addressing a rally here in north Karnataka, Gandhi said Modi talks about security of the nation “but making crores of youth unemployed” does not strengthen the nation. “People have decided in 2019 that in Karnataka, Congress and JD(S), in Andhra Pradesh Naidu (Chandrababu Naidu) and across the country those who are fighting against BJP, they will win. Narendra Modi will be removed from Delhi,” he said. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details Gandhi, who addressed a rally in Gujarat earlier in the day said, “People have decided. Im telling you people of Gujarat have decided, Im coming from Gujarat. There is an undercurrent in favour of Congress in Gujarat.” “People of Gujarat are saying, leave alone the country, Narendra Modi has not done anything for Gujarat….Lakhs of acres of our land were given to big business people,” Gandhi said. Assuring the Congress and JDS workers that the alliance of the two parties would win here (in Karnataka), he said, “in Delhi, Congress will form the government.”
New Delhi: Hitting back at the AAP, cricketer-turned-politician Gautam Gambhir Sunday asserted that he possessed only one voter identity card, adding that the ruling party in Delhi was making baseless allegations against him as it did not have any vision for the people. Gambhir is fighting against AAP’s Atishi from the East Delhi Lok Sabha constituency this general elections. “I have only one voter ID card from Rajender Nagar. I used to live with my maternal grandparents as a child at Ramjas Road (in Karolbagh), but I never voted from or applied for any voter identity card from there,” he told PTI. The BJP candidate was responding to Atishi’s claim that he had two voter identity cards from Rajender Nagar and Karolbagh constituencies. He alleged the AAP candidate was making allegations against him as she had nothing to talk about with voters during campaigning. “When you have no vision for the people or nothing else to talk about, you make allegations like these,” Gambhir said. Meanwhile, a Delhi court had on Friday decided to hear Atishi’s criminal complaint against Gambhir in this regard on May 1. The AAP candidate had filed the complaint against Gambhir for allegedly enrolling as a voter in more than one constituency in violation the Representation of the People Act(RPA). She had also raised objection over the nomination papers filed by the former cricketer which were rejected by the returning officer of the polls. Gambhir said he believed in “positive politics” and would campaign with a vision to make East Delhi one of the best Lok Sabha constituencies in Delhi, and avoid indulging in blame game with his opponents in the polls. Congress has fielded former Delhi minister Arvinder Singh Lovely from the seat.