NewsLocal NewsThief wanted jail time to get teeth fixedBy admin – January 24, 2013 1182 WhatsApp Facebook Linkedin Print Email Advertisement Twitter [email protected]“HE wants to avail of dental treatment” was the unexpected response given to Judge Eugene O’Kelly when he asked why a defendant abused him for not giving a long enough prison sentence. Michael Whelan, a 34-year-old serial shoplifter and thief with over 213 previous convictions, was before Limerick District Court this week pleading guilty to the theft of a packet of razors worth €15 from the Ballinacurra Pharmacy.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Currently serving a four-month sentence handed down at the start of January for a spate of thefts committed last September, Michael Whelan, with an address at Kylefea, Croom had previously protested to Judge O’Kelly for giving him too lenient a sentence.Judge O’Kelly asked Ted McCarthy, solicitor for the accused “is this why he continues to re-offend”.Mr McCarthy said that Mr Whelan had been looking for a longer sentence so as he could avail of “dental work while in prison” and added that the reason his client offended was to primarily feed his alcohol habit.Expressing surprise at the defendant’s response, Judge O’Kelly convicted Michael Whelan and sentenced him to one month in prison for the theft of the razors on January 4 last.Michael Whelan had similar outbursts at a previous sitting of the district court in Rathekeale when he shouted at Judge Mary O’Halloran, “I want 12 months”.However, the judge, who previously referred to him “as a bit of a nuisance in the community to put it mildly”, then sentenced him to four months in prison for the theft of cider and razor blades from a Spar shop in Croom. Previous articleRape crisis group want sentencing guidelinesNext articleJobs hope from HMV sale talks admin
WATCH: Fantasy Showdown: Previewing Michigan MORE: WATCH: The Preview Show for Michigan WATCH: Up to Speed: Vickers, Dillon in spotlight Follow the race with lap-by-lap updates here WATCH: NASCAR Next: Ryan Gifford FULL SERIES COVERAGE• View all articles • View all videos • View all photos
Former World Heavy weight champion Mike Tyson has reechoed his seriousness to make a return to the boxing ring following a string of workout videos that have surfaced in recent weeks.Early reports suggested that he might get into the ring with former rival Evander Holyfield for part three of their historic showdown but he has shut down any possibility of that happening. Rather the 53 year old revealed that the upcoming bout is a charity event aimed at helping the underprivileged and individuals with addictions.“I’m looking good and I weigh 230 pounds.“I’m just getting ready to help some less fortunate people.“I doing this charity event and I am going to take this money and help these homeless and addicted brothers.“I have been homeless and I have been addicted before so I know the struggle, “he told rapper Lil Wayne on his Young Money Radio show.He went on to confirm that Holyfield had nothing to do with it when he was asked.“No he isn’t the one I’m fighting but there are so many guys that want to do this, the contracts will soon be done and then you can see the names that are involved,” he clarified.British fighter Tyson Fury’s name is the latest to be thrown into the fray as a possible opponent for Iron Mike.The youngest ever World heavy weight champion who enjoyed a career that spanned from 1985 – 2005 has evolved into an entrepreneur in the Cannabis industry and also hosts his own radio show.