RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter University you Limerick campus aerialPhoto: True MediaUNIVERSITY of Limerick has announced a major plan to expand its student on-campus student accommodation to more than 3,400 beds to meet growing demand.A spokesperson said the extra 630 beds would “provide a more affordable option for students”.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The University will introduce a new shared accommodation option, in time for the new academic year this coming September.UL President, Dr Des Fitzgerald said: “With the growth in student numbers and following a detailed review of different options and a survey of student requirements, we are planning to develop shared accommodation for students.”He said the existing campus accommodation would be “retrofit as twin rooms rather than single rooms with the upgrade to be completed for next September.“There are six student accommodation villages on the UL campus, and this will add another 630 beds to the 2,850 already available in our on-campus residences,” added Dr Fitzgerald.A UL spokesman said the university has experienced phenomenal growth in the past 12 years, with an almost 50 per cent increase in student numbers from 11,500 to 16,300 in 2019.Michael Foley, Chief Operations Officer at Campus Life Services, which manages UL’s accommodation, said they encountered significant demand for on campus accommodation last August, which made it particularly challenging for students and parents in the search for accommodation at the beginning of term”.He said the additional beds “will help to address the challenge on supply of accommodation in the short term, but also provides a more affordable cost option for parents with twin room costs ranging from under €3,000 to €4,250 per person which includes utilities and UL Sport membership”.UL’s student residences are let on a commercial basis in the summer months.“We continue to promote to local house owners the tax free option of renting a room to students. This rent a room option can provide up to €14,000 a year to the householder and is becoming popular for households and students. This rent a room sector now provides five per cent of the university’s accommodation requirements and has expanded since it was initially promoted in 2017,” added Mr Foley.Last year UL’s Campus Accommodation was ranked number one in Ireland for both accommodation quality and cost in the ‘I-Graduate’ international student barometer survey. The university also recently completed a €20 million four-year refurbishment programme to raise its on-campus accommodation standards.Rental fees for UL on-campus accommodation include full utility costs (electricity, heating, cable TV and licence, refuse and Wi-Fi) as well as membership of the UL Sports Arena gym and access to free campus residence events as part of the Campus Life programme. LimerickNews‘Double up’ option adds 630 beds to UL accommodation stockBy Editor – January 18, 2020 739 Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Facebook Email TAGSKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick PostULUniversity of Limerick Previous articleCalls to upgrade Clarina walkwayNext articleWATCH: Billy Holland on that missing link, Munster support and the Ospreys Editor WhatsApp Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Advertisement Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Linkedin Print
Home » News » Associations & Bodies » 32% more complaints resolved by The Property Ombudsman in 2015 previous nextAssociations & Bodies32% more complaints resolved by The Property Ombudsman in 2015But why has the number of people moved to complain to TPO about agents risen so much?Nigel Lewis12th October 20160627 Views As several hundred agents gather for The Property Ombudsman’s second annual conference in Birmingham today, the TPO has revealed that the number of complaints it resolved during 2015 increased by 32% compared to the year before.TPO says this is mostly down to the high number of agents joining its scheme during 2015 after membership of one of the three schemes became mandatory following legislative changes in 2014. TPO is now the largest of the redress schemes with 35,374 member branches and, over the past five years, it has seen membership grow by 82%.Katrine says that during 2015 TPO received 16,265 enquiries from the public about sales and letting agents and resolved 3,304 complaints (up 32% on 2014) including 1,955 complaints about letting agents (up 33%) and 1,220 complaints about sales agents (up 27%).The largest number of complaints came from agents’ clients such as landlords and sellers and the most common complaints in lettings were about poor management, communication and record keeping, and end of tenancy issues.A majority of complaints about sales agents concerned communication and record keeping as well as marketing and advertising issues and terms of business disputes.“Overall, this is good news for consumers and redress, but not so great for the reputation of agents who collectively paid out over £800,000 in awards,” says Katrine Sporle, Property Ombudsman.“My message for those agents is simple; pay more attention to TPO’s Codes of Practice and raise your standards.”TPO has also published several examples of complaints that it has resolved recently, including one example involving letting fees. It details how an agent took a £250 holding deposit from a tenant and only afterwards informed them that they would also have to pay a further £200 admin fee and didn’t make it clear the fees would include VAT. The complainants asked to be compensated £250 but TPO decided instead to award them £150 for “aggravation caused”.Read more examples of formally resolved cases.Katrine Sporle The Property Ombudsman October 12, 2016Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021
New York: Defending champion Naomi Osaka, who defeated Serena Williams in the 2018 final, and world no. 1 Ashleigh Barty are among the 13 Grand Slam champions who will compete at this year’s US Open, which is beginning on August 26.Naomi had defeated Serena 6-2, 6-4 in New York to win her first major in September 2018. However, it was overshadowed by controversy, with the American tennis star clashing with chair umpire Carlos Ramos, culminating when he docked her a game for calling him a “thief”.Osaka and Williams are joined on the list by 2017 US Open champion Sloane Stephens, two-time US Open champion Venus Williams, 2016 US Open champion Angelique Kerber and 2006 champion Maria Sharapova, announced the United States Tennis Association (USTA) on Wednesday.Rounding out the Top-10 entries are Karolina Pliskova, Simona Halep, Kiki Bertens, Petra Kvitova, Elina Svitolina and Aryna Sabalenka.Additional Grand Slam singles champions featured in this year’s field include Victoria Azarenka, Garbine Muguruza, Caroline Wozniacki and Jelena Ostapenko.The world’s top 102 women will receive a direct entry into the US Open, representing 34 countries.Sixteen more players will gain entry through the US Open Qualifying Tournament, which is the centrepiece of US Open Fan Week (August 19-24), while the remaining eight spots will be wildcards awarded by the USTA.The US has 15 women who qualified for direct entry into the US Open’s main draw — the most of any country. IANS Also Read: Naomi Osaka Leads Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Rankings
USC’s Interactive Media Division, a branch of the School of Cinematic Arts that offers programs in participative media and entertainment, was recently named the top school in the nation for game design studies.Games · IMD Director Tracy Fullerton (right) discusses designs with Luke Peterson (left), a senior majoring in fine arts, and Kurosh Valanejad. – Geo Tu | Daily Trojan The Princeton Review, the test-prep company known for its “best schools” lists, released its rankings of the top game design programs this week, placing USC at the top.USC’s Interactive Media Division began in 2002 as a Master of Fine Arts program, offering a degree in interactive media.Since its inception, the IMD has expanded to include a Bachelor of Arts program in interactive entertainment, as well as an interdivisional Ph.D. program in media arts and practice.Tracy Fullerton, holder of the Electronic Arts Endowed Chair of Interactive Entertainment, said the program started with a strong vision.“[School of Cinematic Arts Dean] Elizabeth Daley held a vision about how the program would move forward with game design, participative media and digital arts, and how these components would be united under a history of storytelling,” Fullerton said.The interactive entertainment program emphasizes creating thoughtful, collaborative leaders focused on imaginative, interactive properties for digital entertainment.“It’s focused on what the user experiences — what the player is thinking and feeling,” Fullerton said.The program, she said, “takes gaming beyond a technical form to an art form.”Fullerton also said keeping pace with changes in the gaming industry is another part of the IMD’s advantage.“Students are exposed to unreleased, cutting-edge tools and technology,” she said, noting that she currently holds a class that is working with gestural systems, such as Microsoft Surface, the first-ever surface computer.Sean Bouchard, a graduate student studying interactive media, said IMD’s focus on design is what sets USC’s program apart.“There’s a development process, and there’s programming, and there’s art, but what differentiates us from other programs — like DigiPen [Institute of Technology, which was ranked No. 2] — is that we’re really about learning how to design a game and learning about what makes a game fun, what makes it interesting,” he said.Kyla Gorman, a graduate student studying interactive media, said the program stresses the importance of understanding the experience of participating in a video game. Students also explore the theoretical aspect of game design by creating and experimenting with actual games.“We focus on the design, because it’s such a new field that there’s no real theoretical grounding for it yet,” Gorman said. “We look at what is fun and what makes a game balanced. You have to have the experience of actually playing a game to know how it’s working.”The Princeton Review surveyed 500 schools to create its top-50 list, evaluating the programs based on such criteria as academics, faculty, technology and game laboratories and career placement. Fullerton said earning the first position is a great honor.“We worked really hard to establish game design as a rigorous academic study. To be recognized, and furthermore, to be recognized by the Princeton Review, which is pretty much the gold standard for helping parents and prospective students understand the programs they’re looking at, is a really exciting moment — not just for us, but for the field of game design,” she said.
NorthEast United may not have won on Friday against FC Goa but the fans were given something else to smile about on the day.They witnessed another home goal from Ghanaian forward, Asamoah Gyan at the Indira Ghandi Stadium and for the player, he was equally happy to score in front of the home fans for the second time this season.He struck in the 53rd minute with a curling effort to tie the match at 1-1. Eventually, the match ended 2-2 and after the match, Gyan shared his thoughts on scoring again in the league.“It is good to score and as a striker, I need to do my job. I am very happy to have found the goals in front of the fans and so, it is a good for me.”Despite Gyan’s goal, his team did not win and he spoke on the need for he and his team mates to stay locked in and win games this season.“We need to stay focused because we were leading and with a minute to play, there was confrontation between the two teams and after that, we lost our head and we gave up a late goal. This is a huge advice to all of us because we cannot keep giving goals away.”NorthEast United face Hyderabad in November 6 in the fourth round of the Indian Super League.
More than anything, soccer is a game of moments. You can speak about ebbs and flows or performances. You can analyse statistics and data. You can talk about formations and tactics all you want. But, when games are decided and trophies are awarded, it comes down to moments, and, at the end of the day, it’s the moments that are remembered.There were moments during Sunday’s MLS Cup finale where CenturyLink Field experienced literal earthquakes. There were moments where the stadium was shaken by the Seattle crowd. There were moments of frustration, of anger, of despair. Getty https://images.daznservices.com/di/library/GOAL/fb/e9/sounders-mls-cup-2019_rm4wpse17yrd1fxcycncns0p0.jpg?t=1466794950&w=500&quality=80 If their opener was workmanlike, the Sounders’ clinching goal was the exact opposite. In fact, it was rather beautiful. A driven pass, a perfect lay-off and, to culminate it all, a magnificent curled finish from the foot of Victor Rodriguez. A late Raul Ruidiaz goal, then, was simply one more chance to celebrate, to embrace euphoria and what this club had achieved. MLS Cup was theirs again.They say you always remember your first, and moments like Stefan Frei’s save and Roman Torres’ penalty in 2016 will always be monumental in Sounders’ history. While that Sounders team was able to grind out a result despite not firing a shot on target, this team won it all in a different way.On a night that, at times, felt eerily similar to the two prior clashes, the Sounders wrote a new chapter in a new way as Sunday’s 3-1 triumph was the exact opposite of their 2016 MLS Cup. That was one type of win, but this was something entirely different. But, even with a trophy in hand, that won’t matter too much.What will matter is how this team and this franchise will now be viewed. Their postseason streak, 11 consecutive appearances since entering MLS in 2009, is staggering. Their MLS Cup run, two in four years with another appearance in between, puts them in rare company. MLS isn’t built for consistency. In a league of salary caps, TAM, GAM, Designated Players, draft picks, international slots and, ultimately, parity, it’s virtually impossible to find success year after year. The best clubs hit blips and stumble, even if they ultimately rise again.In a league designed to throw curveballs at even the best of clubs, the Sounders’ consistency is unmatched and this decade-plus run has been something special.The Sounders’ have made a habit of creating these special moments, and they almost certainly aren’t finished yet. The Seattle Sounders weren’t always the best team on the field on Sunday afternoon. In fact, one could argue that Toronto FC had done more than enough to leave Seattle with an MLS Cup in hand. But in the moments where memories are made, in those situations that determine legacies that extend far beyond a grey afternoon in Seattle, the Sounders stepped up to the challenge.Sunday’s MLS Cup finale ended as a 3-1 Sounders triumph, the club’s second victory in four years. They sealed their place in MLS history, making yet another mark in rave green. During the club’s 11-year history, the Sounders have made a habit of producing something memorable, but Sunday’s confetti-draped celebration on the CenturyLink Field will go down as the sweetest moment in this club’s history.Despite the result, despite the fireworks and trophy celebration, the Sounders weren’t at their best on Sunday afternoon. By and large, Toronto FC dominated the opening half, playing as if they were once again the hosts of this MLS Cup rivalry. The Canadian side bossed possession throughout the opening 45, taking advantage of a Sounders team that looked a step off the pace.Despite the 70,000 fans inside CenturyLink Field urging the Sounders on, it was Toronto that played like a team that simply wanted it more.While the Sounders’ inability to get out of first gear played a part, it was TFC’s midfield that was the main cause for the first-half disparity. Michael Bradley, playing with a contract extension directly tied to Sunday’s result, came out of the gates hot, pinging passes on one end, while making some massive tackles on the other. His midfielder partners, Marky Delgado and Jonathan Osorio, dominated their Sounder counterparts.It wasn’t a tactical switch that changed that fact. There was no overarching response from the Sounders. Instead, they found their lead through a little bit of luck and a whole lot of Toronto FC misfortune.After a slightly brighter start to the second half, the Sounders broke through against the run of play through a fortuitous bounce. Kelvin Leerdam did the leg work, firing a shot towards Toronto FC’s goal only to see the ball carom off Morrow and into the back of the net. It wasn’t a deserved breakthrough and it wasn’t one that many could see coming, but the Sounders won’t care in the slightest.