€7,812 for three-day Limerick mayoral trip to Boston

first_imgNewsLocal News€7,812 for three-day Limerick mayoral trip to BostonBy Alan Jacques – July 16, 2015 1279 Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Previous articleRugby – Young Munster’s Gearoid Lyons to captain Ireland sevensNext articleGAA – Limerick’s Ryan to remain Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Print WhatsApp Boston Mayor Marty Walsh (centre) with Limerick council official Josephine Cotter-Coughlan and Mayor Kevin Sheahanby Alan [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Boston Mayor Marty Walsh (centre) with Limerick council official Josephine Cotter-Coughlan and Mayor Kevin SheahanFORMER Mayor Kevin Sheahan’s recent three-day trip to Boston cost over €2,712 more than originally estimated by Limerick city and county council.At a special meeting held in the Dooradoyle council chamber on April 15 last, a local authority administrator stated that the visit by Cllr Sheahan and one official would cost around €5,100. However, the Limerick Post has learned this week that the tab for the US trip actually came to €7,812.The flights cost €2,708 with the bill for accommodation for three nights at the four-star Renaissance Boston Waterfront coming to €3,906. A further subsistence payment of €1,144 was also made to the travelling councillor and his travelling local authority companion.During the meeting at County Hall prior to his visit, Cllr Sheahan explained that he hoped his visit would yield benefits for Limerick in the areas of tourism, culture, community and economic development. The Mayor also informed the meeting that there were now daily flights between Shannon and Boston and that this should have a positive effect for tourism in both cities.He had originally proposed to go on an 18-day tour of four cities in the United States to include New Brunswick, Boston, Kansas and Santa Clara. However, mediation from Fine Gael and members of his own party forced him to cut his trip dramatically. The trip was proposed and seconded by Fianna Fail councillors Kieran O’Hanlon and Mike Donegan.The former Fianna Fail mayor touched down in Boston at 6.41pm on Monday May 25 and arrived back in Shannon at 6.15am on Thursday May 28. During his stay, Cllr Sheahan met with Irish-American Mayor of Boston Marty Walsh and his team.“During discussions, I initiated the process of exploring a twinning arrangement between Limerick and Boston and I look forward to this process being finalised over the coming months,” the Askeaton politician said on his return.The first mayor of Limerick City and County also availed of the opportunity while in Massachusetts to visit the headquarters of Analog Devices which employs over 1,000 people at its state-of-the-art Limerick facility.“I particularly wanted to express my appreciation to its management for the continued presence, growth and expansion of the multi-million euro Limerick plant which I know was appreciated,” Cllr Sheahan explained.Anti Austerity Alliance councillor Cian Prendiville was criticised by some members when he raised questions over the cost of the trip and asked to see a full itinerary during a special meeting in April.Approval for the visit was passed by a majority of councillors with the three AAA members abstaining.This week Cllr Prendiville said that the figures for the costs of the Boston trip prove the AAA’s theory about a “junket culture on the council”.“People will not forget that Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, Labour, Sinn Fein and the Independents all supported this trip, and it has been the AAA alone who have blown the whistle on this culture,” Prendiville told the Limerick Post.“Earlier this year Caherdavin Library was shut, a ‘saving’ of €2,000 a year for the council. Now it emerges the Mayor has spent almost four times that on a three-day trip. Hotel bills of a grand a night, a further thousand euro in spending money, it all seems very lavish and unnecessary to me. We must remember this is all paid for through the taxes of ordinary working class people. The other parties would do well to remember all this the next time such trips are being discussed.”Meanwhile, Cllr Sheahan’s controversial council trip to Calais this June to foster links in the area of lace production cost €904. Ahead of the visit to northern France the two leading Fianna Fáil members of Limerick City and County Council came to loggerheads over who should take up the invitation. Sheahan’s deputy mayor and party colleague Cllr Joe Crowley believed he was more deserving of the trip, which took place between June 18 and 20.“As I am coming towards the end of my term as deputy mayor, it would be nice to have had some trip away,” Cllr Crowley commented at the time. Email WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads center_img Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live TAGSbostonCllr Kevin SheahanlimerickLimerick City and County CouncilMayor of Boston Marty Walsh Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Linkedin Twitter Advertisementlast_img read more

Pet Pictures with Santa and Family Portraits

first_imgTo view the event page; CLICK HERE Advertisement – Advertisement – Saturday, November 30th, 2019, from 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM, pictures will be captured by Blushin Photography Saturday, November 23rd, 2019, from 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM, pictures will be captured by Sparked Soul Photography To book your appointment to participate in getting pictures, contact [email protected] or the BC SPCA North Peace Branch – Fort St. John center_img FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The BC SPCA North Peace Branch and the Scotia Bank are partnering up to host pet pictures with Santa and family portrait sessions. The photo sessions contain four to six images and will be supplied on a USB drive for you to take home and make your own prints.last_img

NBA: Anthony sees no problem playing power forward with Thunder

first_imgMaliksi’s scoring prowess delivering results for Blackwater Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa View comments Anthony’s strong physique would also help ease his transition better, as George was not really fond of playing the four during some stretches when he was with the Indiana Pacers.Still, Anthony relishes the chance to play for a legitimate contender and credits today’s “position-less” basketball for allowing him to pair up with both George and Russell Westbrook.“Now, it’s just whoever,” he said. “You have two-guards playing center now, guys 6-foot-5 playing center. So, it really doesn’t matter at what position it is, what spot out there, as long as you fill those spots.”  Khristian Ibarrola /raADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City “I have no problem with playing the four,” Anthony, who mostly suited up at small forward for much of his 14-year NBA career, told ESPN’s Royce Young. “I actually like that, I actually embrace that. And for this team, I think it will be better.”Although he has never considered himself a typical “stretch four,” the 10-time NBA All-Star said he’s used to playing the position, citing his earlier years with the Denver Nuggets as an example.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“I’ve been playing the four almost all my career,” he added. “Even in Denver…we kinda started going playing that small ball, putting me at the four, picking up the pace. We kind of started that.”The move comes as no shock to most fans, as the Thunder also managed to land superstar Paul George in the off season, who would likely take up the small forward slot. LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad center_img BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Carmelo Anthony (7)  (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II, File)After laughing off a reporter’s query as to whether he’s willing to come off the bench for his new team, Carmelo Anthony said he had no problem sliding to the power forward position for the Oklahoma City Thunder.The team’s head coach, Billy Donovan, recently made it known that the 33-year-old superstar would indeed be filling in at the four position full-time.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ LATEST STORIES Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  Read Next Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Gameslast_img read more

Elite Eight day two wrap-up

first_imgBy BEN HARRISQueensland Chiefs and New South Wales Mets lead the way in the Elite Eight women’s and men’s opens divisions respectively at the 2013 X-Blades National Touch League in Coffs Harbour.Both sides remain undefeated as they knocked off their nearest rivals on day two of competition.The Chiefs shared top spot with the NSW Scorpions after day one but are now the outright leaders of the competition.In their two matches today, the Queenslanders defeated NSW Rebels 7-2 and kept out the Scorpions 5-2.Australian representative and Queensland women’s opens skipper Peta Rogerson picked up two touchdowns in the match.It was a disappointing day for the NSW side as they lost both of their matches.Defending champions, the Mets, occupy second position following an 8-5 win over the Scorpions and a 10-1 mauling of the Queensland Country Outlaws. The Alliance are in fourth position but they have NSW Country Mavericks on their backs. Only four touchdowns are separating the Scorpions, Alliance and the Mavericks.The Queensland South Stingrays and Rebels have to win their two remaining matches and hope other results go their way to make a tilt at the semi-finals.The Outlaws, unfortunately, are out of contention.In the men’s, the Mets lead the way on 20 points.They had two thrilling wins against the Scorpions (8-6) and the Outlaws (8-5).It’s the Outlaws’ only loss of the tournament but they can still finish first if the Mets slip up tomorrow.The Mavericks and the Stingrays are third and fourth respectively. They have a four-point advantage over the Scorpions who are in fifth spot after they scored their first win of the tournament.The Alliance slipped down the ladder following their two losses; they are on six points alongside the Chiefs.The Rebels are out of contention and have yet to post a win.Rounds six and seven will be played tomorrow with the play-offs held on Saturday.You can keep up-to-date with all of the latest news and information from the 2013 X-Blades National Touch League in the following ways:Websiteswww.ntl.mytouchfooty.comwww.austouch.com.auSocial MediaFacebook – www.facebook.com/touchfootballaustraliaTwitter – www.twitter.com/touchfootyaus (be sure to use the hashtag #NTL2013)Instagram – search for ‘Touch Football Australia’YouTube – www.youtube.com/touchfootballausTouch Football Australia will be live streaming matches on their YouTube page.Related LinksElite Eight day twolast_img read more

10 months agoBeye warns PSG of improving Man Utd

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Beye warns PSG of improving Man Utdby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Newcastle and Marseille fullback Habib Beye has warned PSG over new-look Manchester United.The two teams will meet in the Champions League round of 16 and Beye says United are a different proposition after the sacking of Jose Mourinho.He told Canal+: “Manchester United remains a big European club. The truth of today will not be that of February. It is true that this team has changed coach. We must not forget the material it has available. “If tomorrow, these players come back to their best levels, we are facing a very high level team. Alexis Sanchez, (Marcus) Rashford or (Romelu) Lukaku are not at their best. Plus defensively, if they cannot solve their problems, it is a team that is fragile and always will be, even changing coach.” last_img read more

10 months agoNeves proud playing with Moutinho at Wolves

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Neves proud playing with Moutinho at Wolvesby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveRuben Neves admits he’s enjoying playing with Joao Moutinho in the Wolves midfield this season.It has been a thrill for Neves to partner his compatriot after growing up a fan and ball boy at Porto, where Moutinho starred.Neves told the Mirror: “It was really special when he signed here. When I was younger I saw Moutinho playing and he was very good.“He was a reference for me as a ball boy and now to play with him, it is unbelievable.”Swapping Champions League football for the English second tier may have seemed an unusual move but he had his reasons: “The Championship allows you to grow as a player. It is very competitive.” last_img read more

MINISTER JOLY ANNOUNCES NEW EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AT TELEFILM CANADA

first_imgAdvertisement GATINEAU, QC, June 26, 2018 /CNW/ – The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage, today announced the appointment of Christa Dickenson as the new Executive Director of Telefilm Canada for a term of five years, effective July 30, 2018. This appointment is the result of the Government of Canada’s open, transparent and merit-based selection process. Christa Dickenson is the President and CEO of Interactive Ontario. Previously, she served as the organization’s Executive Director from 2014 to 2017. With more than two decades of experience leveraging strategic partnerships and helping generate revenue, sponsorship and fundraising opportunities in her industry, Ms. Dickenson is fully bilingual and has had a successful career spanning cable, telecommunications, broadcast television, and interactive digital media. Prior to joining Interactive Ontario, she worked at Rogers Communications, CPAC and CTV. A highly-effective brand advocate, she possesses an unparalleled talent for innovation and strong business acumen.Ms. Dickenson has a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in film and video production and serves on a number of boards and councils, including the Canadian Interactive Alliance, the Institute of Corporate Directors and the Insight Council. She is also a founding member of the Leadership Coaching Council, which provides free executive coaching to charitable organizations across Ontario. Advertisement Twitter Login/Register With:center_img Facebook As the federal cultural agency devoted to the development and promotion of the Canadian audiovisual industry, Telefilm Canada is primarily concerned with the funding of original, diverse, and high-quality productions that reflect Canada’s linguistic duality and cultural diversity. Telefilm Canada is an independent organization within the Canadian Heritage portfolio.Quotes“The Canadian identity spans all forms of art, including the films developed and produced here by our creators. As the new Executive Director of Telefilm Canada, Ms. Dickenson will help Canada’s talent shine at home and around the world. I am confident that her valuable experience will help strengthen our audio-visual industry so more audiences can hear and see our stories.”—The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian HeritageQuick FactsThe Board of Directors of Telefilm Canada is comprised of six members appointed by the Governor in Council and the Government Film Commissioner, who is appointed under the National Film Act. On the recommendation of the Corporation, the Governor in Council may appoint an Executive Director.In 2016, the Government of Canada adopted a new approach to Governor in Council appointments. This approach respects gender parity and is supported by an open, transparent and merit-based selection process; one that will result in the recommendation of exceptionally competent candidates who truly reflect Canada’s diversity.This new approach requires a selection process for the majority of full- and part-time positions.All appointment opportunities for the 18 organizations in the Canadian Heritage Portfolio are posted as they become available on the Governor in Council Appointments website. Interested parties can apply online.Telefilm Canada acts as one of the Canadian government’s principal instruments for providing strategic leverage to the private sector, supplying the film, television and new media industries with financial and strategic support. Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment last_img read more