The Government will highlight its plans to further improve the welfare of the nation’s children in State care, at a press conference to be held on Monday (May 27), at Jamaica House, beginning at 10:00 a.m.This follows Cabinet’s approval on Monday, May 20, of the recommendations of a joint submission by the Ministries of Youth and Culture, Justice, Education and National Security on this matter.Further details on Cabinet’s approvals and decisions regarding the submission, will be provided at the conference by Minister of Youth and Culture, Hon. Lisa Hanna and the other portfolio Ministers.Making the disclosure on May 22, Minister Hanna informed that the submission will provide “the platform for an acceleration of steps to achieve further and rapid improvement in the wellbeing of our children, particularly those in public institutions and juvenile facilities.”The Minister was speaking at a scholarship awards function for wards of the State, hosted by the Children of Jamaica Outreach Inc. (COJO), at the Spanish Court Hotel in Kingston.The submission is as a result of the work of the Inter-Ministerial Working Group, which Minister Hanna convened last year to examine the recommendations of the 2010 Task Force report on the fire which occurred at the Armadale Correctional Centre in St Ann, in 2009.The group is also tasked with charting the way forward in relation to children who come in contact with the justice system.Contact: Alecia Smith-Edwards
zoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Croatian shipping company Uljanik Plovidba has reached an agreement to refinance two medium range (MR) tankers after securing a discount with existing lenders.The company was granted the permission to refinance an existing syndicated loan issued for the purchase of two tankers, Kastav and Pomer.In a stock exchange filing, Uljanik Plovidba said that it was granted an approval for the significant debt relief by a group of international banks, led by Credit Suisse AG, after months of talks.The existing credit debt, reduced by the approved discount, will be repaid in two installments. The first will amount to 95% of the total amount and will be financed by a new credit facility to be granted by a foreign lender, while the remaining 5% is to be repaid by the end of the year.Uljanik Plovidba informed that the relevant contractual and other documentation related to the refinancing of the existing credit facility and the new loan facility is expected to be finalized in early November 2018.The transaction would reduces the overall credit exposure of Uljanik Plovidba and create favorable conditions for the company’s long-term survival.World Maritime News Staff
OTTAWA — The Canadian Coast Guard’s recent struggles in resupplying northern communities and rescuing ice-jammed ferries appear set to continue despite the Trudeau government’s plan to invest $15.6 billion in new ships.None of the 18 vessels the government says it plans to buy is an icebreaker, meaning the coast guard will be forced to continue relying on its existing fleet for the foreseeable future.Much of the coast guard’s icebreaker fleet is already near or even already past its expected lifespan, which has resulted in breakdowns and other problems.Federal Procurement Minister Carla Qualtrough acknowledged this week that the coast guard needs new icebreakers, but would not say when — or if — the Trudeau government would announce it is buying some.Qualtrough instead indicated that any announcement on additional ships for the coast guard would likely come after the government adds a third shipyard to the two that are already partners in its multibillion-dollar shipbuilding plan.The search for that third shipyard is expected to start in the coming weeks, but while many observers expect Davie Shipbuilding in Quebec City to win, a senior government official said a decision is unlikely before October’s election.The Canadian Press
APTN National NewsSeveral Yukon women’s groups are in the town of Watson Lake this week to witness the code of conduct hearing of two RCMP officers who were acquitted of sexual assault by territorial court in 2010.As APTN National News reporter Shirley McLean explains, those women want to see officers held accountable.
PENTAGON, Va. – The NAFTA talks have now entered their most difficult phase with the United States beginning to drop its bombshell proposals on the negotiating table at a just-begun fourth round outside Washington.U.S. officials had foreshadowed that this week-long round would see the most contentious discussions open and that is coming to fruition, with the American side levelling one demand deemed a non-starter — and preparing to deliver another one.The just-released demand would create a so-called termination clause. It would end NAFTA after five years, unless its member countries explicitly opted to renew it. That proposal was delivered late Wednesday night.That comes after the U.S. proposed far stricter Buy American rules at the last negotiating round, and in the leadup to one of the most important proposals of the entire negotiation: on rules for auto parts, which could come as early as Friday.”More contentious issues will be coming up very shortly,” U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said during a panel discussion this week at the Dentons law firm.”So far the talks have mainly done basic background things. Kind of what I would call boilerplate things. Relatively easy issues.”The other NAFTA countries say they’re legitimately baffled by where the U.S. is headed.Sources say others are trying to figure out what this hardline approach signals from the U.S. — opening positions that will be flexible with some bargaining; hard demands; or a desire to poison the talks, let them collapse, and simply do away with NAFTA.Some allies of President Donald Trump are more positive.Newt Gingrich said this week he sees little appetite within the U.S. cabinet for the type of turmoil cancelling NAFTA might cause. He said Trump’s team is filled with wealthy pro-traders, who simply believe the U.S. needs tougher deals.Ross himself said he doesn’t anticipate a NAFTA collapse, though he added a caveat: “We don’t hope it will (end), we don’t desire that it will, we don’t believe that it will, but it is at least a conceptual possibility.”Canada and Mexico are vehemently opposed to the five-year termination idea, seeing it as a destabilizing investment-killer and an unacceptable red line.Still, leaders from both countries said late Thursday night they aren’t walking away from the table. At a joint press conference in Mexico City, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Canada would consider the new proposal and continue to negotiate, while Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto said any speculation on the implications of any proposal should be taken with a grain of salt.Ross shrugged off the talk of red lines.“Yes, that’s our proposal,” Ross said, adding dismissively: “Red lines, blue lines, green lines, purple lines — those are just colours in a rainbow… It’s a big, complicated negotiation and the key is having an overall package that works (at the end).”The next big scare could come on Friday the 13th.That’s when the group handling rules for auto parts meets for the first time in this round, and it’s expected the U.S. is preparing to level demands viewed as non-starters by Canada, Mexico, and the auto industry.One report said the planned demand would require 85 per cent of a car’s parts to come from North America, and half of them to come from the U.S. The industry says many of these components simply aren’t made on the continent, and warns that if the rules get too onerous it might just stop working within NAFTA and start paying tariffs.The demands being levelled cross several of the six so-called red lines laid out by Mexico’s Senate, which says it would refuse any deal that includes a termination clause, a U.S. auto content requirement, or the end of the Chapter 19 dispute-resolution system.One official says it’s important to keep negotiating calmly.“We’re expecting some contentious proposals this week,” said the official, a non-American who was not authorized to speak publicly. “Having said that, no one should lose sight of the fact you have three teams of negotiators working to make progress on the deal and they are making progress.“If there weren’t contentious proposals, it wouldn’t be a negotiation.”American industry has begun sounding alarm bells about the potential damage if NAFTA dies. The U.S. Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association released a study Thursday saying it could cost 25,000 to 50,000 U.S. jobs, and warned that too-stringent content rules could cost 24,000 jobs.A team of Scotiabank economists agrees the auto sector is faring well under NAFTA. It points to data showing a surge in U.S. auto employment since the 2008-09 recession, with six per cent annual employment increases that are multiple times larger than growth in other manufacturing sectors. They say Ross relies on skewed numbers to paint an overly grim portrait, which underestimates the degree of U.S. content in North American cars.But Ross shrugs off the industry’s complaints: ”I think you’ll find the car companies will adapt themselves to it.”
Mohali: K L Rahul played the role of a sheet anchor to perfection as Kings XI Punjab returned to winning ways with a comfortable eight-wicket victory over Mumbai Indians in an IPL encounter here Saturday. The talented Rahul was unbeaten on 71 off 57 balls with KXIP reaching the 177-run target in only 18.4 overs. This was KXIP’s second win in three games while MI lost their second game. The India international hit six fours and a six but what stood out was the manner in which he paced his innings. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhHe played second fiddle to perfection till the dashing Chris Gayle and the flamboyant Mayank Agarwal were at the crease but upped the ante when it was required. The 15th over bowled by Hardik Pandya swung the match decisively in KXIP’s favour with 19 runs coming off it. Once the pressure was off, Rahul hit the ever-dependable Jasprit Bumrah for successive fours to literally close the match. Gayle (40, 24 balls) batted in a manner only he can as he cleared his front leg and hit those towering sixes before Pandya brothers joined hands to send him back to the dug-out after an opening stand of 53. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced laterGayle failed to get required elevation off a Krunal delivery and Hardik caught him in the deep. Rahul was barely into double figures when Gayle got out. The next partnership was equally interesting as Agarwal (43, 21 balls) was in great nick during the 64 runs that he added with his close buddy Rahul in only 6.1 overs. Pandya brothers had a dismal day with the ball as Krunal gave away 43 runs in his four overs and Hardik 39 runs in three overs. While he was a disappointment with the ball, Hardik once again provided the final flourish after yet another middle-order collapse as Mumbai Indians managed 176 for 7 after being put into bat. Quinton de Kock with a 39-ball-60 created a platform which the middle-order unfortunately didn’t make full use of before Hardik smashed 31 off 19 balls to enable MI get past 175-run mark. While De Kock hit six boundaries and two sixes in his innings, Pandya hit three boundaries and a six off Mohammed Shami. Skipper Rohit Sharma also looked good during his brief stay at the crease, scoring 32 off 18 balls with five fours. He added 51 for the opening stand with De Kock. For the home team, it was the lesser known Ashwin — Murugan, who emerged as the most successful bowler with figures of 2 for 25 from his four overs. Skipper Ravichandran Ashwin didn’t get any wickets but gave away only 26 runs in his four overs. The pace troika of Shami (2/40 in 4 overs), Andrew Tye (1/40 in 4 overs) and Hardus Viljoen (2/40 in 4 overs) were among wickets but bowled a lot of loose deliveries, giving away 13 fours and three sixes. MI were off to a great start after Shami was hit for a couple of boundaries by Rohit and one from De Kock in the very second over. In the fifth over, Rohit hit Andrew Tye for three more fours but Viljoen dismissed him in the very next over when he tried to play across the line. Suryakumar Yadav (11) was caught plumb in-front by Murugan but De Kock found his ways to get boundaries off both the Ashwins. For a good measure he pulled Shami for a six behind square and brought up his fifty with a boundary off Murugan. In between Yuvraj Singh became Murugan’s second victim and once De Kock was trapped leg before by Shami, MI were in a spot of bother. Once Pollard was gone, MI slumped to 146 for five from 120 for two but Hardik ensured a safe total for the visitors.
New Delhi: Behind every successful journey, there is a lot of struggle and heartbreak that goes unnoticed. Done with the celebration and the post-match presentation at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium on Sunday, Mumbai Indians skipper Rohit Sharma took a trip down the memory lane as he walked back into the dressing room after lifting the IPL trophy for a record fourth time. With the noise settling down and the feeling of being the champions sinking in, Rohit took the boys down to May 20, 2018. A loss to Delhi Capitals (then Daredevils) at the Feroz Shah Kotla saw the Mumbai Indians’ journey end as they failed to qualify for the playoffs. This very team, which on Sunday was the cynosure of all eyes, had people questioning their ability and prowess. But the skipper had the back of the boys when things went downhill and the boys repaid the faith with the title this season. Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: RijijuIt has been learnt that Rohit, after Sunday’s summit clash, in his speech inside the dressing room mentioned how he believed in the boys even when the chips were down and he was extremely proud of how they came back with a bang this season. “Last year after we couldn’t qualify for the playoffs in Delhi, I told you all that this is a damn good team we have. Our run (2018 season) didn’t go as expected, but I believed that this team can do wonders. Today we have shown our character. This is the hallmark of our team. We believed in each other till the last minute. Each one of you was exceptional this season and I am just the lucky guy who gets to lift the trophy. So, thank you to all the boys, support staff, management and everyone for being a part of this wonderful and historic journey,” Rohit said in his victory speech to the boys. Also Read – Djokovic to debut against Shapovalov at Shanghai MastersIn fact, sources in the know of developments said that this year too, Nita Ambani and Akash had a word with the boys after their loss to Kolkata Knight Riders at Eden Gardens on April 28. Speaking to the team in a huddle after the game, both the owners had told the boys to believe in themselves and their abilities. In fact, Akash had told the boys to avenge the defeat when the two teams would meet again at the Wankhede Stadium in a week. Not only did the boys avenge the loss with a resounding nine-wicket win, but they also went on to win the remaining two games of the season to be crowned champions.
Sophomore defensive lineman Nick Bosa (97) lines up prior to a play during the Ohio State- Oklahoma game on Sep. 9. OSU lost 31-16. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo EditorOhio State sophomore defensive end Nick Bosa was named a semifinalist for the Bednarik Award, given to the defensive player of the year, the Maxwell Football Club announced Monday afternoon.Bosa ranks second in the Big Ten with 10 tackles for loss, which leads the team. He also has racked up a team-high four sacks. Bosa was named a co-defensive player of the game by Ohio State’s coaching staff for his performance in the Buckeyes’ 39-38 win against Penn State Saturday. Bosa only had one tackle versus the Nittany Lions, but head coach Urban Meyer said during Monday’s press conference the defensive end also had seven quarterback pressures. Ohio State’s defensive front, which includes Bosa, held Penn State running back and Heisman Trophy candidate Saquon Barkley to 44 yards on 21 carries, including a 36-yard carry that accounted for the bulk of his production.In the offseason, defensive ends Bosa and Tyquan Lewis, cornerback Denzel Ward and linebacker Jerome Baker were named to the Bednarik Award watch list.Bosa will be back in action at 3:30 p.m. Saturday when the Buckeyes head to Iowa City, Iowa, to take on the Hawkeyes.
AC Milan manager Gennaro Gattuso unsure of Leonardo Bonucci’s future at the club.Bonucci is currently drawing interest from Europe’s premier clubs with Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain interested in securing his services.Gattuso says Milan will do everything to keep the Italian defender at the San Siro despite PSG preparing to bring him to Paris this summer.Bonucci’s future with Milan has been under serious speculation but Gattuso has praised the attitude of his captain while also confirming that the defender is yet to commit his future to the club.“He’s a great professional and at this moment we’re interested in what he and other players have to say.” Gattuso said about Bonucci to reporters.Report: Chiellini knee surgery a success George Patchias – September 3, 2019 Giorgio Chiellini has had knee surgery and it has been successful.As we brought you earlier at Ronaldo.com, it was believed that the club was…“We have to respect whatever choice he makes. Obviously, he wants to win and so do we as a club, we’ll just have to wait and see as he’s a very important player for us, and we would do everything to keep him here at the club.”Milan have successfully appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) after their Europa League qualification was taken away by UEFA for breaching Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules.“Elliott is pleased that our intervention and support of AC Milan at CAS has achieved a positive result for the club,” a club statement said, quoted in FourFourTwo.“Playing in Europe is a huge part of Milan’s heritage as a club and the decision made today by CAS is the first of many steps towards the rehabilitation of this club.”
AFC Bournemouth have completed the loan capture of defender Nathaniel Clyne from Liverpool.The former Saints right-back will remain at Vitality Stadium until the end of the 2018/19 season and is eligible for Saturday’s FA Cup third round tie against Brighton & Hove Albion.Clyne, 27, began his career at Crystal Palace before a move to Southampton in July 2012 followed by a switch to Liverpool.He told afcbTV: “I’m really excited by this opportunity. It’s a great chance for me to come and play football.More great news 👏@Nathaniel_Clyne joins us on loan until the end of the season. Welcome!#afcb 🍒https://t.co/CwDEJg2JJm— AFC Bournemouth (@afcbournemouth) January 4, 2019Match Preview: Bournemouth vs Manchester City Boro Tanchev – August 24, 2019 English champions Manchester City travel to Bournemouth for their encounter of the third Premier League Matchday.“I’ve spoken to the manager and we’ve talked about what we can achieve for the remainder of the season. It’s a great club with a great story. I can’t wait to get going.”AFC Bournemouth manager, Eddie Howe, said: “Nathaniel is vastly experienced and has the benefit of being able to play in a couple of positions for us.“With Simon Francis’ injury we felt it was important to bring someone in, capable of filling that void, and it’s great to have Nathaniel on board.“Naturally, he wants to play football and is very keen to bring his attributes to the team. We’re excited about what he can deliver for us.”